2017 Progress

Our sustainability goals serve as a guide for our businesses and locations to embed sustainability into their day-to-day operations and measure their progress.

Originally developed in 2012, these goals focus on key sustainability challenges. In 2017, we undertook a major review of our goals to ensure they represent the challenges and opportunities of our current business portfolio. We also needed to reset goals that we had achieved earlier than anticipated. The outcome of this effort was a new set of goals for 2018 and beyond.

Here is a summary of our progress through 2017 against our existing goals. The third column contains the new goals moving forward.

Existing 2020 Goals 2017 Progress New Goals
40 percent of sales from sustainable products and processes by 2020. 32 percent 40 percent of sales from products and processes that have improved sustainability over products being replaced by 2025.
10 percent reduction in total waste disposal intensity by 2020 from a 2012 baseline. 15 percent reduction from 2012 25 percent reduction in total waste disposal intensity by 2025 from a 2017 baseline.

Achieve zero landfill status from process waste at 35 percent of PPG manufacturing and research and development locations by 2025.
    Reduce energy consumption intensity by 15 percent by 2025 from a 2017 baseline.

Increase renewable energy to 25 percent of total electricity usage exclusive of greenhouse gas (GHG) reductions by 2025.
25 percent reduction in GHG emissions intensity by 2020 from a 2012 baseline. 46 percent reduction from 2012 Reduce GHG emissions intensity by 15 percent measured in total tons discharged by 2025 from a 2017 baseline.
On our path to eliminating spills, ensure that we achieve an improvement of at least 10 percent per year in our spills and releases rate. 24 percent increase over the 2016 rate and 21 percent reduction from 2012 On our path to eliminating spills, ensure that we achieve at least a 65 percent improvement in our spills and releases rate by 2025 from a 2017 baseline.
Implement water management plans at priority sites. Three plans implemented in 2017 20 percent reduction in water consumption intensity by 2025 from a 2017 baseline.
Zero injuries. On our path to zero injuries, ensure that we achieve an improvement of at least 5 percent per year in our injury and illness rate. Rate of 0.29 was 6.5 percent below the 2016 rate Zero injuries. On our path to zero injuries, ensure that we achieve an improvement of at least 5 percent per year in our injury and illness rate.
Implement wellness programs at 100 percent of PPG facilities globally by 2020. 70 percent of locations with 50 or more employees had a wellness program in 2017 Active wellness programs at 100 percent of PPG facilities globally by 2025.
Implement the community engagement framework globally by 2025. 75 percent of our facilities met the framework requirements in 2017 Implement the community engagement framework globally by 2025.
Invest at least $10 million by 2025 through the COLORFUL COMMUNITIES™ initiative. $3.1 million invested through 2017 Invest at least $10 million by 2025 through the Colorful Communities initiative.
Eliminate lead from remaining non-consumer coatings formulations by 2020. Eliminated 43 percent of the remaining non-consumer products that contain lead Eliminate lead from remaining non-consumer coatings formulations by 2020.