With PPG’s increasingly global footprint and strategic focus on organic growth and innovation, our people are our most important competitive advantage.
A clear focus on learning and development is crucial to ensuring we keep our people engaged, productive and successful at every stage of their careers. We are committed to promoting from within wherever possible while also bringing in new ideas, thoughts and insights.
To ensure success, we offer a wide array of tools and training that include assessments; personalized performance and learning plans; formal and informal feedback; career ladders; structured development programs; classroom, on-the-job and online learning; coaching; and mentoring.
In 2016, we refocused our efforts on accelerating employee development to keep the leadership pipeline as active and up-to-date as possible. We benchmarked against the best to confirm that our learning and development strategy and focus were appropriate for our needs and delivering what we require in the future. This work continues to provide an even sharper focus on our areas of need to drive the business forward and ensure engagement of our employees.
To support our company’s transformation, we use a learning and development architecture with supporting programs to develop our general manager talent through five levels of leadership:
- Emerging leaders—local and regional level: Our Global Core Curriculum focuses on self-leadership, people leadership, results leadership, thought leadership and change leadership.
- Emerging leaders—regional level: The Emerging Leader Program builds upon the core curriculum with courses on leading self, leading others and leading the organization.
- Emerging leaders—global level: Our Global Leadership Development Program covers strategic marketing for growth, innovation and influence in action.
- Successors for regional strategic business unit vice presidents and general managers: Our program explores executive judgment, customer focus, driving growth, enterprise perspective and emerging markets.
- Successors for global vice presidents: The Senior Executive Leadership Network focuses on executive leadership and accelerated individual executive development through experiences, coaching, mentoring, outside executive education and exposure to thought leaders.
We have also increased our efforts in developing our functional leaders—manufacturing, technical, supply chain, human resources and more—at local, regional and global levels. The Global Core Curriculum serves as the foundation for this architecture and is built upon through a variety of programs geared toward each level’s and function’s leadership needs.
Learn more about our approach to learning and development on our Global Careers website. »